General Discussion

View Only
  • 1.  Changing order of pages in PDF's

Adopter
    Posted 10-05-2021 08:53
    Maybe you all have encountered this before and can give me some help.  I've got a large PM inspection form and on the last page I have a Summary page that has conditional logic to summarize the results of the previous pages.  As this page has to be at the bottom due to logic involving questions above it, the PDF output I send to the customer has the summary page on the last page of the report.  This report is seen by both maintenance management and upper level management at the customer.  We would like to have the summary page printed at the first or second page of the PDF as it will be easily seen there without having to thumb through the 20-24 pages of the report.  We've found that the upper level management in particular won't thumb through the full report to get to the summary, as the previous pages tend to be a little technical.  Several customers have in fact requested the summary page first.  If the summary page were first, then upper management could directly follow up with maintenance to address the failed inspections without having to search for the appropriate page.

Has anyone come up with a way to change the order of pages displayed in a PDF?  I can't find a way, and I've got ProntoForms looking at this right now.  Any help would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Scott Gilleland
    Senior Field Service Engineer
    Messer Cutting Systems

• 2.  RE: Changing order of pages in PDF's

Staff
    Posted 10-05-2021 16:51

Hi Scott,

There are a couple of options available to you for a solution. The first is to create two outputs for your form. One supplying the full results, as you have it now, and the other being the summary only. The advantages here are that this will be quick and easy for you to set up and that you can then send summary emails to those people who don't need (or want) to know the full details of a form submission. Depending on how often the 'higher ups' would refer to the detailed information may mean that this is not the best solution for you.

The other choice is to create a custom document for your PDFs. ProntoForms lets you create custom documents using DREL (Data Record Expression Language), Handelbars, or Freemarker. If you set up a custom document you have full control over what you display and in what order and format. The documentation on how to do this is all available in our product documentation here: https://docs.prontoforms.com/1374411/Content/Published/360000345463.html

The disadvantage to this solution is that it will take you more time to set up. You will need to add all the data and format the document yourself. Our Pro Services team can help you out here if you'd like of course.

I hope this helps, but if you have further questions or wish to talk through either of these options further, please let us know.

Pat

Pat Cooney
    Community Engineer
    ProntoForms
    community@prontoforms.com

• 3.  RE: Changing order of pages in PDF's

Posted 10-06-2021 04:01
    Pat's solution is what I would recommend (I have produced summarised outputs for certain clients) - not as difficult as it may first appear, but if you have a lot of data it can take a while.

Good Luck

Stephen Morrison
    Business Information and Performance Director
    BCA Insulation

• 4.  RE: Changing order of pages in PDF's

Adopter
    Posted 10-06-2021 08:56
    There is a LOT of questions.  Sounds like a good solution.  Maybe I'll work on a custom form for the summary, although I don't think it's necessary.

Scott Gilleland
    Messer Cutting Systems

• 5.  RE: Changing order of pages in PDF's

Adopter
    Posted 10-06-2021 09:23
    Agree with the previous responders. Additionally wanted to mention that we have found custom email bodies to be the best solution for getting higher level managers (customer and internal) to read and act on information from our forms. We use this feature to put the most critical answers directly into the email so managers don't have to open an attachment to see what they need. This works best for forms that can be emailed directly to the customer without a review step. This suggestion would lose a lot of its value if your use case involves reviewing form outputs first and then sending a summary email to the customer with multiple PDF attachments.

Matt Lambert
    Vice President of Operations
    PrimeLine Utility Services
    mlambert@primelineus.com

• 6.  RE: Changing order of pages in PDF's

Adopter
    Posted 10-06-2021 09:43
    Custom email bodies is a great suggestion!!  Thanks.

Scott Gilleland
    Messer Cutting Systems

• 7.  RE: Changing order of pages in PDF's

Staff
    Posted 10-06-2021 16:52
    I love the idea of custom email bodies! That sounds like a really good solution. You have the full report as a download but all the key points in the body of the email.  Nice!

Pat Cooney
    Community Engineer
    ProntoForms

• 8.  RE: Changing order of pages in PDF's

Adopter
    Posted 10-07-2021 09:53
    I haven't investigated this yet, but can we make the output email body customizable as far as which questions are included as well as colors and styles?

Scott Gilleland
    Messer Cutting Systems

• 9.  RE: Changing order of pages in PDF's

Staff
    Posted 10-07-2021 12:49
    Yep, just use DREL to put any content you have in your form into the email body: https://support.prontoforms.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406631430932-How-do-I-customize-emails-that-are-sent-with-the-email-destination-#Single

Pat Cooney
    Community Engineer
    ProntoForms

Reminder: Content posted to our Community is public content.  Please be careful not to post Intellectual Property that you do not have permission to share.  For more information please refer to our Terms Of Use