General Discussion

View Only
  • 1.  Count and Autonumber equivalent function in repeatable sections?

Posted 12-08-2021 11:13
    Hi

I am looking for a solution to counting the number of lines created within a repeatable section. I know that the footer after a repeatable section has a "Count" function but this only counts numbers - my repeatable section collects text (and photos). Previously on another form, I have created a workaround where I ask the User to input a number and then count those. On another, I use Conditional Logic that if the main question is answered it sets a Hidden integer Question to "1" and again I can count those.

Does anyone have a different solution?

Are there any plans to introduce/expand the count function, e.g. an autonumber setting where it can allocate the next sequential number and thus provide a unique ID to a line in a repeatable section, or to count a number of "things" (like number of photos, etc. not sure what this would be used for, but just a thought)?

Thanks

Stephen

------------------------------
    Stephen Morrison
    Business Information and Performance Director
    BCA Insulation

• 2.  RE: Count and Autonumber equivalent function in repeatable sections?
    Best Answer

Adopter
    Posted 12-08-2021 12:01
    Hi Stephen! The only way I've ever accomplished this with my forms is by having a hidden text field on the repeatable page that has a default value of 1, then an aggregation with the sum of that Count field as a footer item on the previous page.

@Pat Cooney, do you know if there is another way to count the number of rows in a repeatable section?

That is a great idea though of a count function within the form builder to count number of photos or specific fields answered, vs the entire repeating page being counted as a whole!​​

Lisa Zido
    Technical Systems Analyst
    GOJO Industries Inc.

• 3.  RE: Count and Autonumber equivalent function in repeatable sections?

Staff
    Posted 12-08-2021 16:50
    Hi Stephen, hi Lisa,

I've taken a look and asked around and going with the solutions you guys have provided (using hidden fields and conditional logic) is the best way to achieve what you are talking about right now.  If anyone else in the Community has accomplished this functionality in a different way I'd love to hear what they did.  Maybe there is a better solution out there that we haven't thought of yet, but as of right now I'd say this is the best solution.

Stephen, would you like me to submit a feature request to add this functionality to the count function, let me know and I'll put that in for you.

Pat Cooney
    Community Engineer
    ProntoForms
    community@prontoforms.com

• 4.  RE: Count and Autonumber equivalent function in repeatable sections?

Posted 12-09-2021 11:03
    Pat

It would be a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have" - it might be useful although I do not have a direct use case for it just now, but others may.

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen Morrison
    BCA Insulation

• 5.  RE: Count and Autonumber equivalent function in repeatable sections?

Adopter
    Posted 12-09-2021 14:22
    Auto-numbering would be nice.  Currently I use a Stepper and the FSE has to put the correct number in for which part of the machine they are working on.  I've used a lot of hidden fields to count entries and to calculate overall results of repeatable sections.

Scott Gilleland
    Senior Field Service Engineer
    Messer Cutting Systems

• 6.  RE: Count and Autonumber equivalent function in repeatable sections?

Posted 12-09-2021 11:00
    Lisa

I like your solution better than mine - it is more simple and straightforward. I'll steal that for the next one!

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen Morrison
    BCA Insulation

Reminder: Content posted to our Community is public content.  Please be careful not to post Intellectual Property that you do not have permission to share.  For more information please refer to our Terms Of Use