Best Practices

View Only
  • 1.  Summarizing a Repeated Section

Adopter
    Posted 11-01-2022 14:24
    Wanted to reach out as I'm struggling to summarize information of a repeated section. Was hoping perhaps someone has a work around with conditional logic that could be explained to me.

I have a repeated section that has an assortment of add-ons our supervisors can select.

Repeated Section  
    Column 1      Column 2
    A                    Button Select 
    B                    Button Select 
    C                    Button Select
    D                    Button Select
    E                    Button Select

If I wanted to summarize which items were selected, how would I do that? At the end of the form, I would like a text field that states Items A & B were selected as add-ons. Is that possible?

------------------------------
    Luke Greene
    Risk Analyst
    KONE

• 2.  RE: Summarizing a Repeated Section

Posted 11-02-2022 15:27
    Hi Luke

Do you want to count how many times each "Button Select" option is chosen for your summary, for example 3x Button Select Option (i), 2x Button Select Option (ii), etc? And in your column 2 Button Select, is it a case the Supervisor can only choose one option (i, ii, iii, iv or v) or can they choose a combination of options?

Stephen Morrison
    Business Information and Performance Director
    BCA Insulation

• 3.  RE: Summarizing a Repeated Section

Adopter
    Posted 11-02-2022 17:50
    I tried a few things to pull text answers out of a repeatable section the way you described. Easy to do in an email destination or a custom Excel output. But I'm guessing this needs to be visible to your users at the end of their forms prior to when they submit. I am stumped! Hoping someone bright out there is able to show a solution.

Matt Lambert
    Vice President of Operations
    PrimeLine Utility Services
    WA
    mlambert@primelineus.com

• 4.  RE: Summarizing a Repeated Section

Adopter
    Posted 11-04-2022 15:00

Hi Luke,
    I believe you could accomplish that with hidden fields in your repeatable sections and a summary field.

Essentially, you would create a "OptionASelected" integer field with a conditional logic rule that assigns a value of one if Option A is selected.
    Next add a summary field "OptionAFlag" at the end of the repeatable section that sums up the values for "OptionASelected" for each repeatable section entry.
    Then in the main form, you could conditionally state that if "OptionAFlag">1, then that option has been selected at least once, or display the number of times it was selected.
    Just make sure to hide all of these fields once you are done testing.

You could repeat this for as many options as needed. If you want to combine the A and B options into one flag, you would just need to adjust that first conditional logic rule in the repeatable sections to assign value if A OR B... is selected.

Let me know if that helps or if I misunderstood what you were trying to accomplish.

Thanks, 

CC

Cecily Stelly
    Analyst
    Johnson Controls

Reminder: Content posted to our Community is public content.  Please be careful not to post Intellectual Property that you do not have permission to share.  For more information please refer to our Terms Of Use