Best Practices

Β View Only
  • 1.  Conditional Logic from outside of a template to manipluate individual fields in a template

Adopter
    Posted 05-27-2022 02:54
    Hi all, πŸ‘‹

After trolling through the ProntoForms resources for an answer, even if it was a "No Heath, you can't do what you want", I found an answer in the Documentation Portal > Build and Manage Forms > Create or Edit a Form with the Form Builder > Form Pages and Sections > Managing Templates:

All conditional logic in a template must be contained within that template. You cannot have a conditional logic rule in a template that affects something outside the template.

It makes sense, but sounds like I should be able to use conditional Logic from outside of a template to manipluate individual fields in a template, e.g. read-only, hide/show or set values.

• Wondering if anyone has come up with any solutions or have found a secret way to do this; either by using conditonal logic or a push of data from a option field?
    • If there are no options for what I would like to do could this be a good feature request to add?
      • Create a "Header item" (like footer items) we could use as a go between the outer and inner data of the template
    • Maybe you have alternative suggestions on how to approach this?
      ​

------------------------------
      Heath
      🦘

• 2.  RE: Conditional Logic from outside of a template to manipluate individual fields in a template

Posted 05-31-2022 12:11

Hey Heath!

You are correct. You are not able to use conditional logic to change the individual questions inside a template with questions outside the template. The questions that are inside the template need to be controlled by the conditional logic rules that are inside template. You can however have questions inside the template effect questions outside the template (I know this does not help you in your case.)

I tried to play around with this in my own form to come up with a way around this but to no avail!Β 

One of the caveats of using the template based sections in this case. I can get a feature request logged on your behalf.

Thank youΒ 

Ian Chamberlain
      Solutions Architect
      ProntoForms

• 3.  RE: Conditional Logic from outside of a template to manipluate individual fields in a template

Adopter
      Posted 05-31-2022 20:51

Hi Ian,

Thats ok, I figured that was going to be the answer, I have a work around anyway.
      Yes it would be great to have a feature request put through for this.
      I understand there would be a lot of work to get this to work, I presume both of the following options wouldn't be quick to implement but maybe one quicker than the other?

• Adding a "Header item/section" (like footer items/sections) we could use as a go between the outer and inner data of the template.
        or
      • Direct access to the fields for outside conditional access.

Heath
      🦘

• 4.  RE: Conditional Logic from outside of a template to manipluate individual fields in a template

Adopter
      Posted 05-31-2022 12:29
      Hi Heath and Ian!

I agree with Heath in the assumption of being able to use conditional logic outside of a template to manipulate individual fields in a template. I have run into this a few times with templates and have ultimately ended up not using them, and instead taking the time to copy questions so that I can have more editability within the help texts of the questions. I was never able to find a good way to make it work either unfortunately.

Lisa Zido
      Technical Systems Analyst
      GOJO Industries Inc.
      OH

• 5.  RE: Conditional Logic from outside of a template to manipluate individual fields in a template

Adopter
      Posted 05-31-2022 20:59

I like the templates footer section for count and sum, this helps reduce the amount of manual calulations and conditional access.

Hopefully we can get this in as a new feature 😁

Heath
      🦘

• 6.  RE: Conditional Logic from outside of a template to manipluate individual fields in a template

Posted 06-02-2022 14:28
      Hello Heath and Lisa,

We have made the corresponding feature requests on behalf of your respective companies. We will be communicating directly with you to update you on the progress of such requests.

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Have a wonderful evening!

Sincerely,

Pablo

Pablo Rivera
      Customer Success Manager
      ProntoForms

• 7.  RE: Conditional Logic from outside of a template to manipluate individual fields in a template

Posted 10-17-2023 04:52

Hey Pablo,

did this feature make it into production? I also have the need to use conditional logic from outside of a template to manipluate individual fields in a template section.

best regards

Moritz

Moritz Waltenberger
      CEO
      ekoRail

• 8.  RE: Conditional Logic from outside of a template to manipluate individual fields in a template

Posted 10-17-2023 15:35

Hi Moritz,

This kind of falls under the same problem space as my other response: it's a feature that we've thought about, but has wider-ranging implications for form stability than it appears at surface level. It's definitely something that we'd like to tackle and have some ideas around how to do so, but it's not currently on our roadmap. Again, if we do tackle this in future, we'll definitely reach out to you to get your opinions (and all others on this thread!) if you're amenable to helping us improve the product.

Thanks again,

Erin Longhurst
      Product Manager
      ProntoForms

Reminder: Content posted to our Community is public content.Β  Please be careful not to post Intellectual Property that you do not have permission to share.Β  For more information please refer to our Terms Of Use.Β